She may be just under a foot tall but she’s big in the fashion community. Barbie boasts five decades of fashion heritage, working with more fashion designers than any other brand in the world.
Barbie® has collaborated with more than 75 different fashion designers and has served as creative inspiration to more than 150 famous designers.
- The first designer partnership with the Barbie® brand was a collaboration with Oscar de la Renta in the mid-1980s.
- Bob Mackie was the first of many famous designers to collaborate with Barbie® on a collector doll in 1990.
- In 2009, Barbie® partnered with Christian Louboutin to unveil a collection of dolls and shoes – the shoes were available in both Barbie-size and life size!
- 50 designers created looks for Barbie® doll’s first-ever runway show at New York Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in 2009.
- Barbie® broke records for the Estée Lauder Companies as the cover model and inspiration for the MAC Cosmetics Spring Collection, “Barbie™ Loves MAC.”
- Barbie® has her very own fine jewelry line designed by Layna and Alan Friedman called Barbie™ Rocks.
From Calvin to Cartier, Gucci to Galliano, Versace to Vera, they all have something to say about Barbie:
"Barbie represents a confident and independent woman with an amazing ability to have fun while remaining glamorous."
- Diane von Furstenberg
"Barbie has been a cherished fashion phenomenon for five decades, so it was exciting to be able to dress her in one of my signature gowns."
- Monique Lhuillier
"It's been my honor to dress some of the most glamorous women in the world and Barbie is certainly among the ultimate 'It' girls!”
- Patricia Field
“I started dressing Barbie dolls with my own designs at an early age.”
- Anna Sui
"As a little girl, I spent countless hours playing with my Barbie dolls, even designing and sewing one-of-a-kind outfits for the doll. I guess you could say Barbie gave me my start as a designer."
- Cynthia Rowley